Sunday, 29 January 2017

I need to tell you something - I don't drive..........





We live in a completely car-centric society and sometimes I don't know what's more difficult: telling people I have a form of epilepsy - or breaking the horribly unusual news to them that I don't drive- and at my age!
I met a couple of women at the weekend and arranged to see them this week - and then the awkward happened. (Bear in mind that epilepsy is a hidden condition and they had absolutely no idea that I had it.)
Woman Number 1 gave me driving instructions to her house.

Me: "I don't drive. Are you near a train station or on a bus route?"

WN1: "You don't drive???"

Me: "No, but I'll get to you by public transport."

WN1: "How?"

Me:" I don't exactly know yet but if you're not near a train station I can look up bus routes."

Woman Number 1 looked at Woman Number 2 with a 'that's odd, what-have-we-got-here' expression.

WN2 said: "How did you get here?"

Me: "Walked."

WNs1&2: "Walked!"

I was beginning to find this amusing but also a bit difficult.

Me: "Yes, walked."

They thought about that for a minute...legs as a form of transport. Then -

WN2: "If you don't drive, how do you do your food shopping. I couldn't carry mine."

Me: "Online. It gets delivered."

WN2: "I prefer to do it myself - you can never be sure what you get."

Me: "Yes, I'd prefer to do it myself too but I don't drive so I have to work around it."

Now they have me cornered. Either I let them believe that I choose not to drive because I'm lazy and haven't bothered to learn or I'm banned because of an offence. I could make up a story about being kind to the environment but I'm not going to lie to help them out with their prejudice. So I tell them that the DVLA wouldn't give me a licence because I have a condition where I have a type of seizure - sometimes.

This somehow satisfies the two women. WN1 tells me the numbers of buses that go near her home and WN2 offers not only a lift home but also invites me to join her on a her next weekly shop.

I think the car thing is quite funny. People will spend hours bemoaning their weight (too much); diet (when they're going to start one); the gym (when they're going to go now they've bought membership). Then they jump in their car to drive a few yards down the road to buy a bunch of something they shouldn't be eating.

People ask me if my medication helps keep my weight off. Now I think about it, I don't know any fat people with epilepsy. That maybe a gross (pun intended) generalisation. It's not because we pop pills though. It's because, to us, walking isn't a huge exercise programme: it has to be a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Epilepsy v hangover in the workplace

Epilepsy has had some bad press. And the media hasn't corrected myths, leaving people without epilepsy in the dark and people with epil...